Saturday 2 February 2008

Okonomiyaki!!!

This Japanese, pancake-like creation has to be my favourite dinner. I whipped it up for dinner the other night with some miso for my friend after our nice post-work jog. So fast and simple to make, and great after a big training session. I never thought I could love cabbage so much.

There are several different ways you can prepare it (whether to put cabbage in the batter or or cook separately), what you put on top, whether you cook the the "toppings" into the pancake, or whether you pile it on top. But this is my favourite way of doing it.

The "pancake"
  • 300 g flour
  • 240 ml water
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cabbage thinly sliced
Toppings
  • Japanese mayonnaise
  • Okonomiyaki sauce (I buy this from my local asian grocer, but you can substitute bbq or worcestershire sauce, thickened with cornflour and some sugar)
  • Whatever else you want: mushroom (I cook them in soy sauce, mirin and a bit of sugar), spring onions, pork floss, minced pork or beef, seafood, noodles, shredded nori, onions...

Finely slice the cabbage. Combine the eggs, water and flour to make a smooth batter. Stir through the cabbage. You can also add shredded nori to this mix too (just get a sheet of nori and cut it up with a sharp knife or scissors). Cook it up as you would a pancake.

While you're making your pancake, cook up your mushrooms, onions, whatever else you're having with it. Pile it on top. Cover with mayonnaise and okonomiyaki sauce and eat!

If you want to see how mine turn out, they look EXACTLY like fellow blogger, f00d for thought's attempts. As mentioned in my previous blog I don't currently have a camera to show you mine... but check that out for an idea!

1 comment:

My Blog said...

I never thought I could love cabbage so much.