Wednesday 24 September 2008

Nudicake

Sorry I'm a bit late in reporting this, but I was very excited to hear from a.s.h. who commented on my blog a little while ago to say that she'd made her very own axolotl cake! It looks terrific. You can see the final result here. I love sharing knowledge and ideas and hope that other people can learn from my successes and failures. It's one of the reasons why I started this blog, so to see things like this really makes me happy.

I love giving birthday cakes to my friends each year. It's fun for me and it means that my friends don't have to find space for more junk in their small living spaces. But as time goes on, my friends just seem to want aquatic animal cakes. And now it seems as though they're competing for the strangest aquatic animal cake. The fish cake was fun and easy, then there was the call for an axolotl cake, then an octopus cake and now... a nudibranch. I started wondering what on earth I have started (and what is wrong with my friends?!). I suggested to my friend that perhaps she would like star fish instead, but no, a nudibranch it is. I do love nudibranchs, they are totally stunning little creatures. However how on earth do I turn it into a cake?! The cake itself should be easy (a loaf cake of some sort should do)! But I suspect I'll be needing a lot of food dye. I've got about two weeks to work it out.

A collection of nudibranchs

1. By CW Ye
2. By Doug.Deep
3. By The Sprain
4. Also by Doug.Deep (don't you think this one looks like Mr Blobby?)
5. by d0c3nt
6. by Nick Hobgood

5 comments:

Liesl said...

I was once asked to make a violin cake, but I can now see that it pales into insignificance against a nudibranch!

You need to head over here for some nice intense nudi-colours!

Kate Moore said...

You are a brave woman, but I think the idea of giving a cake is a brilliant idea. I have been playing with gingerbread recipes. They're from old, old cookbooks, but I think I'm getting there. That will be my Chrissie present to lots of people.

Holly said...

use candy melts to make the spines, the rest of the cake should be fairly simple.

Jenaveve said...

I like the 'Mr Blobby' one - I'm thinking colorful lollies will be really handy here too.

Beth said...

Thanks for all of your suggestions... it's really got me thinking now! (and I'd never heard of candy melts before, sounds cool!)