Sunday 14 September 2008

This is... what I do with a spare 10 minutes

I'm quite industrious and like the concept of efficiency (that's not to say that I ever actually achieve it, but I do aspire to it!) and there are lots of things I like to do with a spare 10 minutes.

Food "research": Definitely my favourite 10 minute filler is flicking through cooking magazines, books and websites. I could look at food-related material for hours.



Housework: I actually made a list about 6 months ago called "Things you can do around the house in under 10 minutes". It was to encourage Gib to do more housework because he has this idea that housework takes an immense amount of time and therefore never has time for it. The list had things like taking out the rubbish, stacking/unstacking the dishwasher, putting on a load of washing, putting clothes away, tidying the desk. It was moderately successful, but I had to keep changing the colour of the sign so he would notice it. I'm always amazed at how much housework can be achieved in 10 minutes.

Stretching out: waiting for my lunch to finish in the microwave or for the kettle to boil, or when my head is aching from too much new information at work, I like to stretch. I'm all for incidental exercise, and stretching in my spare moments is so refreshing! There are a few that I can do that don't make me look like a complete idiot, such as discrete calf stretches, pec stretches, hip flexor stretches... Maybe, for ultimate efficiency, I could stretch and work at the same time?

Courtesy of fuzzy squid

Thank you Hoppo Bumpo for a very practical This is... theme (I can't wait to see other peoples' ideas for 10 minute fillers!), and to Angela at Three buttons for hosting This is... (head here to join in)

5 comments:

Liesl said...

Goodness me ... so many questions I could ask about that photo ... but probably shouldn't. All I can say is I hope that young lady can touch type.

Love the list of foodie sites. Haven't seen the Gourmet Traveller one, so I think I know where my next 10 minutes is going!

Cindy said...

I had to giggle that you need to change the colour of the sign so Gib takes notice. I can relate to that one.

Jenaveve said...

Yep, food/health research is top of my 10 mins list of reading materials also.

You cracked me up with the incidental exercise - I'm such a sucker for that one too but always feel like I'm going to be sprung by Candid Camera while doing a lunge or hip flexor... quite embarassing.

And changing the color of the housework cards - pure genius!! Mind if I pinch this idea to trial it out on M? Not sure how successful it will be, but damn worth a shot.

Gina said...

What an interesting picture and thought! LOL
I have my computer 2 steps from the kitchen..and the first place I go when wondering what to cook is 'Taste' - it's so easy to search on. Gx

kt said...

haven't heard from you in awhile.. hoping you are well :)

That picture is crazy I hope you don't stretch like that! :P