Thursday 18 September 2008

(un)healthy obsession with cranberries

I go through fads of favourite foods, but right now it's cranberries. Cranberry juice, cranberries, craisins (especially craisins)... it really doesn't matter. I can't get enough of their sharp, tarty, tangy flavour. Gib even bought me some real, unsweetened cranberry juice from Macro a few weeks ago - you know, the sort that make it feel like your face has been punched in if you try it straight. Cranberries are good for you too!

I spotted this recipe at Culinary Concoctions by Peabody for Pumpkin Cranberry Bars. I had a spare hour up my sleeve before going to training and had everything on hand, so I thought I'd give it a go. I used dairy free margarine, walnuts instead of pecans and I steamed and pureed some fresh pumpkin we had in the fridge. Because I'm lazy I made it in the food processor, leaving the walnuts and craisins until last.


The outcome was fantastic: as proof I've made 2 batches in 4 days! (Ok, so there was a book club being hosted at our house, and there were lots of people to share with). The walnuts and craisins gave the bars a lovely texture. This recipe goes into the "favourite recipe" pile.

The theme at Meet Met At Mikes this week is "A week of baking". Go check it out!

4 comments:

meetmeatmikes said...

that looks bloody delicious!
bring me some this minute.
okay. that's unreasonable.
bring me some some day.
and i will bring coffee.
and we can talk about things that are good and crafty and delicious.
you always make nice things!

Cindy said...

I have a new cereal with cranberries in it and she stand and picks through it until she finds all the cranberries.

Jenaveve said...

As always - Yuuuuuuum!!!

Liesl said...

Yummo - that looks fabulous. I leerrrvvv cranberries. Even if the au naturale variety take the enamel off your teeth!