Saturday 13 December 2008

Speedy last minute snacks

It's that time of year when there's always people popping over or you need to bring a plate to some event somewhere. Here we have two recipes that I've made from stuff on hand and actually turned out well. Thankfully I remembered to write down how I made them so I can recreate them if necessary! I thought I'd better put them here, because the scraps of paper I wrote them on wont be so permanent (or so readily searchable).


Carrot & chickpea dip with pita bread dippers


I made this when I had eight people coming over and was concerned that I perhaps I don't have enough pre-dinner nibbles. So I whipped up a dip and crackers.
Bits in the fridge and cupboard:
1/2 tin chickpeas
2 carrots (you could use pumpkin or sweet potato)
Jar of tahini (although peanut butter would work too, I reckon)
Curry powder
Cayenne pepper
Olive oil
Salt & pepper

  • Steam 2 carrots in a steamer or microwave
  • Dry roast 2-3 tbsp curry powder (or to taste) and 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, dry roasted in a pan for 1 min until fragrant.
  • Blend together carrots, chickpeas, 2 tbsp tahini, 1 tsp olive oil, S&P and spices until smooth. Add a little water if it's too thick.
  • Meanwhile, take a piece or two of leftover pita bread, chop it in triangles, spray with oil and sprinkle with a little salt, bake for 5 mins in a hot oven or under the grill until brown and crispy (if you're using the grill, just flip them after a couple of minutes - and keep an eye on them!).


Super Speedy Savory muffins

Muffins always save me when I'm in a pickle. At 10pm last night I suddenly remembered I had a lunch to go to and had to bring something. The reason why I like muffins is because, unlike most baked goods, little precision is required. All of these ingredients were leftovers that I had in the fridge or cupboard. I didn't quite have enough milk, and didn't have any fresh, frozen or tinned corn, but did find a tin of creamed corn way up the back of the cupboard. The cream corn worked out really well actually and I think it's a great addition to savoury muffins. I'll have to remember that one in future! Oh, and muffins freeze well. How good are muffins?!

My muffins included:

2 cups self raising flour
1/4 capsicum (about 3/4 cup, diced)
3/4 cup frozen peas (it's all that was left in the packet)
1/2 onion (about 1 cup chopped)
1/2 carrot, grated, sqeezed with paper towel to remove as much moisture as possible.
1/2 tin creamed corn
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk (I had soy on hand)
100 g butter, melted
3/4 cup grated cheese

  • Fry the onion in a little oil for about 5 mins until soft
  • Stir the onion, capsicum, carrot and peas into the flour
  • Combine the creamed corn, eggs, milk and cheese
  • Mix the wet and dry mix together until just combined
  • Spoon into 12 muffin pans. Bake at 200 C for 15-20 mins fan forced.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Yum! those savoury muffins would do the trick for afternoon tea today :D