I kind of made it up as I went along, with a basic sugar syrup and some lime and cointreau to give it a lift. The cointreau also helps to keep it slightly soft to make it easy to serve. I reckon limoncello would go very well too. The key to making sorbet is breaking up all the little ice crystals so it's all smooth. I don't have an ice cream maker, but I do have a stab mixer that blends ice.
How I make delicious Kiwi Fruit Sorbet without an ice cream machine
8 kiwi fruit
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 tbsp cointreau
Juice of 1 lime
- Dissolve sugar in water in a saucepan, bring to the boil for 1 minute, then set aside until cool.
- Peel kiwi fruit, blend in a food processor until they are an even slushy consistency.
- Add cointreau, lime juice, salt and syrup, process until smooth.
- Transfer into a container (I used an old ice cream container) and place into the freezer for 1-2 hours.
- Using a stab mixer, blend up your frozen kiwi fruit puree until all the ice crystals are broken up. Smooth over, re-freeze for another 1-2 hours (or overnight, as I did) and blend once more.
- Allow to refreeze, and eat when desired.